About the Club
The Camberwell Hockey Club was founded in 1932 and moved to Matlock Reserve, 15 Carinda Road, Canterbury, in 1939. Matlock Reserve has always had a non-grass surface. Initially, the pitch was made from compressed cinders from the local gas works. It was replaced with a scoria surface in 1971. The first synthetic carpet was laid in 1986. The carpet was replaced in 2000 and again in 2011. These carpet replacements have been fully funded by the Club ($440,000 in 2011).
Lights were first erected at Matlock Reserve in 1955, with the lighting being upgraded in 1971 and 1986. In 1939, the old tennis club pavilion from Willison Park was moved to the Western boundary of Matlock Reserve. The existing Clubhouse was constructed on the current eastern site in 1977, with further extensions being completed in 1996. The Club and the City of Boroondara are looking to upgrade the pavilion in 2015/16.
The Club has won 28 top grade premierships (20 Men; 8 Women). We are proud to have had 20 international representatives (18 Australia; 2 New Zealand) with 6 Olympians (5 Australia; 1 New Zealand) as members of our Club.
53 Teams in 2014 Winter Season
20 International Representatives
Camberwell Hockey Club
- provides competitions for female and male players aged from 7 to 60+ years
- in 2014, has entered 53 teams in the Hockey Victoria winter season (22 Junior teams; 5 Women Open age teams; 2 Women Masters teams; 12 Men Open age teams; 11 Men Masters teams)
- runs a Hookin2Hockey development program introducing 70+, five to seven year olds to hockey in summer and winter
- has 796 registered players in 2014 (259 female; 537 male) plus 11 non-playing Life Members
- always welcomes new players
- is heavily involved in the Hockey Victoria program aimed at increasing participation of girls and women in hockey
- proudly participates in the Fair go, sport! Project
- proudly participates in the Good Sports Club Program
Playing times and locations
Junior home matches are played at Matlock Reserve (3 matches on Friday nights from 2013; 3 timeslots on Saturday mornings) and at Koonung Secondary College (4 matches on Friday nights) (the playing lights at this facility were paid for by Camberwell Hockey Club $95,000). Senior home matches are played at Matlock Reserve on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Masters home matches are played at Matlock Reserve and Koonung SC on Monday evenings.
Fair Go Sport! Project
In 2011, Camberwell Hockey Club was very pleased to be one of the 4 pilot hockey clubs in the Fair go sport! project, a joint initiative with Hockey Victoria, Hockey Australia and the Australian Sports Commission and managed by the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. This project aims to increase awareness of sexual and gender diversity in hockey and promote safe and inclusive environments; and develop a flexible model of engagement that can be adapted for other sporting codes and their governing bodies? The project was highlighted at the opening of the new surface at Matlock Park in July, 2011. Camberwell Hockey Club's role in tackling homophobia was mentioned in an article in The Age, Sunday 20 January 2013.
Good Sports Club
Camberwell Hockey Club is now a Good Sports accredited Club (Level 2). The Good Sports program helps sporting clubs manage alcohol responsibly and reduce alcohol-related problems such as binge and underage drinking.
for all enquiries, please contact Phil Davrain (M) 0417 755 699
Facilities Manager: Phil Davrain (M) 0417 755 699